Levi Periera and Drew Turbin combined for nine RBIs to lead Coeur d’Alene into the consolation final of the Idaho 5A baseball championships in Boise with a 17-4, five-inning victory over Centennial on Friday.
The Vikings (24-2) will play Highland at 9 a.m. today at Hawks Memorial Stadium.
Periera went 2 for 2 with a pair of bases-loaded doubles to drive in six runs and Turbin was 3 for 3 with two doubles and three RBIs.
• Lewiston (16-11) will play Mountain View at noon for third place in the 5A tournament after being shut out 10-0 in six innings by Eagle in the semifinals.
The Bengals managed just two hits off AJ Snow while the Mustangs’ 14 hits included five doubles and a home run by Patrick O’Brien.
• Lakeland (14-14) plays Bonneville at noon at Bishop Kelly in Boise for third place after absorbing a 21-6 loss to Twin Falls in the 4A semifinals.
• Brennan Moore’s two-run double in the bottom of the eighth gave Payette a come-from-behind 9-8 win over Bonners Ferry in the 3A semifinals in Ontario, Ore.
The Badgers (11-14), who play Kimberley at noon for third place, led 7-4 after six innings and scored a go-ahead run in the top of the eighth but couldn’t hang on. Dan Mayzel was 2 for 4 with a double for Bonners Ferry.
• Shawn Mortenson of Priest River (12-12) struck out 13 in 6 1/3 innings, but a five-run Snake River sixth inning did him in as the Spartans’ season ended with a 6-1 loss in a loser-out game at the 3A tournament. Priest River managed just five hits, two by Austin Sommer, including a double.
Luke Ness of Lake City and Rafa Hewett-Steiger of Lewiston are in the boys semifinals today in opposite brackets at the Idaho 5A state championships in Boise.
Elsa Hansen of Lewiston is a girls semifinalist.
Ronique Padda of Lake City is in the girls consolation bracket.
In the team competition, Lewiston is eighth in the boys and tied for ninth in the girls with Lake City. The Timberwolves’ boys are seventh.
• No North Idaho school has a semifinalist in the 4A tournament in Boise.
Kevin Kirby of Sandpoint in the boys, teammate Sophia Meulenberg and Katie South of Moscow in the girls and a Lakeland boys doubles team are alive in the consolation bracket.
Sandpoint’s boys are ninth and the Bulldogs’ girls are tied for 10th to lead the North schools.
• Mindi Grathan of Coeur d’Alene Charter is alive in the girls consolation bracket at the 3A tournament in Boise.
Clark Fork has both its boys and girls doubles teams in consolation play, too.
No North Idaho school has a semifinalist.
The Coeur d’Alene Charter girls are sixth and the boys tied for eighth with Clark Fork. Clark Fork girls are ninth.