Kaimi Rocha finished with 13 kills, three aces and four blocks Tuesday as Whitworth defeated visiting La Verne (Calif.) 3-1 in nonconference volleyball.
Bree Riddle added 37 assists and four blocks for the Pirates, who improved to 5-4.
Amanda Grumbach led Whitworth with 13 digs and added 11 kills.
Whitworth hit .579 during its 25-9 first-game win.
Randi Taylor-Toomay had 15 kills for the Leopards (6-4).
Idaho senior Jarred Bossio, fresh off a win at the Washington State Amateur, captured the Washington State Invitational at Palouse Ridge GC by four strokes.
Bossio shot a third-round 1-over 72 to finish at 8-under 205, ahead of Jay Myers (209) and Christopher Lang (210) of team champion San Jose State.
CC Spokane sophomore Dylan Maine (Freeman High) tied for seventh at 213. Branden Dalton (215) led third-place Washington State.
• Peter Gullickson (Lewis and Clark) and James Fahy tied for 29th at 3-over 219 to lead Gonzaga (884) to 10th place at the Mark Simpson Invitational at Erie, Colo.
Host Colorado (840) won the team title. San Diego’s Alex Ching and Colorado’s Beau Schoolcraft, who played as an individual, tied for medalist honors at 205.
Kristen Allard tied for fifth place while leading Washington State to the team title at the 22-team Circling Raven Collegiate Invitational at Worley.
Allard finished at 9-over 225 to help the Cougars (913) to a nine-stroke edge over San Francisco.
Seattle University’s Caitlin McCleary claimed medalist honors at 216.
Gonzaga (930) placed sixth, led by Alice Kim, who tied for seventh at 228.
Eastern Washington’s Jayme Carbon tied for 13th at 230.
• Idaho senior Kayla Mortellaro finished in third place at the Ptarmigan Fall Classic at Fort Collins, Colo.
Mortellaro shot a third-round 2-under 70 to finish at 1-under 215, four shots behind Demi Runas of team champion UC Davis.
The Vandals (912) placed 10th among 19 teams.
Tori Bertsch totaled nine kills and 17 assists while guiding Post Falls to a 3-0 win over visiting Coeur d’Alene in Inland Empire League 5A play. Ashley Jibby added nine digs, three blocks and three aces for the Trojans.
• Casey Williams and Talia Candler had nine kills and three aces apiece, and Marissa Tayton added 16 digs as visiting Moscow defeated Lakeland 3-0 in IEL 4A play.
• Katie Schueman totaled 10 kills and two blocks to help Cheney to a 3-0 win at West Valley in the Great Northern League. The Blackhawks’ Kendall Case added 36 assists. … Also in the league, Jenny Nakata’s 12 kills and seven digs led Pullman to a 3-0 sweep at Deer Park. DP’s Alisha Perez had six kills and five digs. … East Valley recorded 20 aces, including seven consecutive by Callie Hanson, during a 3-0 sweep of visiting Medical Lake. Sam Geibel added 14 kills and five blocks for the Knights.
• Marlee Masterson had 11 kills and Jaylee Sines added 20 assists as St. Maries posted a 3-0 win over visiting Priest River in the Intermountain League.
Courtney Hossfeld scored at 48 and 49 minutes off crossing passes to help West Valley to a 7-1 win over visiting Cheney in the GNL. Sarah Marro added two goals and one assist for the Eagles. … Also in the league, McKayline Hughes scored twice to guide East Valley to a 4-0 win over visiting Medical Lake. … Laura DeWald scored twice to help visiting Pullman to a 5-0 win over Deer Park.