Brooklyn Tacke’s sixth block of the match ended a back-and-forth fifth game as University won at home against Shadle Park on the opening night of Greater Spokane League volleyball play Thursday.
Tacke’s deciding stuff came against Darby Santos, who was the match leader with 17 kills, as the Titans (2-2 overall) downed the Highlanders (2-1) 20-25, 25-21, 23-25, 25-18, 15-13.
In other GSL openers: Kennadie Clute had 26 kills and added three aces as host Mt. Spokane knocked off Central Valley 25-22, 13-25, 25-18, 25-21. Paiton Larson also had three aces along with 39 assists while Brooke Reilly added 13 kills for the Wildcats (3-0). The Bears are 1-3. … Mead (3-0) opened league play with a sweep of visiting Lewis and Clark (1-2), winning 25-12, 25-12, 25-16. Taylor Ellingsen, Mackenzie McPhee and Dana Morris shared high honors for Mead with five kills apiece. … Rogers coach Rhett Lashbrook picked up his first league home win in six years as the Pirates (2-1) downed North Central (1-2) 26-24, 25-13, 24-26, 25-16. Setter Sydney Rogers, with 23 assists, had seven kills. Morgan had nine kills for North Central and Jenny Huynh eight for Rogers.
• Great Northern: Erin Wallman had eight kills and Callie Hanson three aces as host East Valley (2-0 league) topped West Valley (0-2). … Host Colville (1-0) swept Cheney 25-8, 25-11, 25-19 as Joellee Buckner had 11 kills and seven aces. … Rachel Dinsmoor was 11 of 11 serving and host Pullman (2-0) rolled past visiting Clarkston (0-2) 25-21, 25-20, 27-25.
• Intermountain: Priest River swept to victory at Bonners Ferry, 25-17, 25-8, 25-13. Melissa Trost led the victorious Spartans with 11 kills.
• Great Northern: Brooke Morrow struck first for Clarkston (1-1 GNL, three points) but Pullman came back with four straight goals, scored by four different players, in a 4-1 victory at home. Bree Daugherty, Laura Guido, Maddi Cillay and Stephanie Winchell scored for the Greyhounds (2-0, six) … Sophomores Morgan Thueson and Elizabeth Fix scored three and two goals, respectively, in Cheney’s victory over host Colville (0-1). Montana Andrews picked up the shutout with seven saves for Cheney (2-0, six). … West Valley’s goals came in the first half as the Eagles (1-1, three) edged the Knights (0-2) at East Valley 2-1.
• Inland Empire 5A: Lake City and host Coeur d’Alene finished in a 1-1 tie.
• IEL 5A: Visiting Coeur d’Alene downed Lake City 2-1.