Mt. Spokane junior John Dressel was the individual champion but the North Central cross country team took the boys team title at the Tracy Walters Invitational Saturday at Audubon Park.
Dressel finished the 3-mile course in 15 minutes, ahead of two NC runners. The Indians’ Kai Wilmot was second in 15:17 and Tanner Anderson was third in 15:33.
Kamiakin was second, followed by Bozeman, Central Valley and Mt. Spokane.
Three other North Central runners finished in the top 20 – Oliver Reed (11th, 16:02), Sam Sjoberg (18th, 16:11) and Justin Janke (20th, 16:13).
CV’s top runners – Corey Hunter and Spencer Jensen – finished 14th and 15th, respectively. They both had times of 16:06.
Coeur d’Alene’s Emily Callahan finished in second place to help the Vikings girls take third place overall.
Callahan finished the 3-mile course in 18:34.
Bozeman claimed the girls title and Jesuit was second. Central Valley took eighth place. The Bears were led by Briegan Bester, who took 19th in 19:39.
• Taylor Smith took second and helped the University boys to a second-place finish at the Silverwood Coaster meet in Athol, Idaho.
Smith finished in 15:57. Teammates Ben Hutchens and Hunter Simpson also finished in the top 10.
For the girls, Anisa Allaet of Ferris took second in 19:07. Courtney Sherick of University was 9th in 19:32, and the Titans were 5th as a team.
Tyler King’s goal 27 seconds into the game set the tone in the Spokane Chiefs’ 5-3 win over the Tri-City Americans in Western Hockey League preseason action in Kennewick.
Jacob Cardiff and Tyson Predinchuk assisted on the goal.
Mitch Holmberg also scored in the first – his third of the preseason – but Tri-City got two power-play goals to knot the game at 2 after the first period.
Spokane’s Alex Whitwham and Liam Stewart scored in the second period and Cardiff added an insurance goal in the third.
Chiefs’ goaltender Eric Williams stopped 16 of 19 shots. Garret Hughson subbed in halfway through the second period and stopped all eight shots he faced.
Spokane hosts the Americans on Wednesday at Eastern Washington University.
Kyra Holt had 13 kills and Camryn Irwin dished out 37 assists as Washington State stayed undefeated with a sweep of South Dakota State (5-3) in the Cougar Challenge title match in Pullman.
Set scores were 25-16, 25-17 and 25-22.
The Cougars (7-0) topped Montana 3-1 earlier in the day to secure a 4-0 record at the tournament.
• Gonzaga eased past Seattle before being swept by Arizona State in the Gonzaga Invitational title match at the Martin Centre in Spokane.
The Bulldogs topped Seattle (2-6) 25-15, 25-22, 25-17. Savannah Blinn had 11 kills and McKayla Ferris added 10 kills and seven digs for GU.
It was a different story in the title match. Macey Gardner had 20 kills and Bianca Arellano dished out 35 assists as the Sun Devils (6-0) stayed undefeated with a 25-23, 28-26, 25-16 win.
Blinn and Meredith Crenshaw combined for 25 kills for the Bulldogs (2-4).
• Whitworth advanced to the title match with a 3-1 win over St. Scholastica, but fell to No. 19 St. Benedict and settled for second place in the Whit Classic in Spokane.
The Pirates opened the day with a 25-13, 25-20, 22-25, 25-22 win over St. Scholastica. Jalana White led the Pirates with 17 kills and seven digs.
St. Benedict (9-0) eased past the Pirates 25-21, 25-10, 25-11 in the title match. Whitney Santos had 25 digs and Maddye Dinsmore dished out 20 assists to lead Whitworth (3-5).
• Idaho (3-4) was swept by Northern Arizona and San Diego State to wrap up an 0-3 showing at the Fiesta Classic hosted by Northern Arizona in Flagstaff, Ariz.
The Vandals’ Alyssa Schultz had 13 kills and five blocks against Northern Arizona (5-1) and Katelyn Peterson and Jessica Hastriter had 10 kills apiece against San Diego State (3-3).
• Community Colleges of Spokane (7-4) beat Walla Walla (5-5) and Linn-Benton (7-5) at the Spokane Invitational at Spokane Falls Community College.
Whitworth (0-0-1) gave up a goal in the 90th minute and had to settle for a season-opening 2-2 draw with Texas-Tyler in a nonconference match in Tyler, Texas.
The Patriots’ Enoch Shiman scored with 47 seconds left in regulation to knot the match.
Sam Selisch scored both of Whitworth’s goals. The first came in the 17th minute and his next came in the 61st minute.
• Devin Leon scored his second goal of the match in the 81st minute to help Community Colleges of Spokane (4-0-1) force a 3-3 draw with Clark (3-0-1) in a nonconference match at Spokane Falls Community College.
Bobbi Eckler scored twice and Concordia, ranked fifth in the NAIA, blanked Whitworth 6-0 in a nonconference match in Portland, Ore.
Hannah Kimsey added a goal and two assists for the Cavaliers (3-0-1).
Whitworth keeper Andrea Stump made 10 saves.
The Pirates (3-1) open Northwest Conference play Friday at Whitman.
• Taylor Turpin and Lizzy Rasmussen scored first-half goals and Iowa Lakes Community College held on to beat North Idaho 3-1 in a nonconference match in Emmetsburg, Iowa.
Emilee Cordon scored a second-half goal for the Cardinals.