Lakeland’s Derek Bayley closed out his prep career Tuesday by earning his second individual Idaho 4A State title.
Bayley fired a 2-under-par 66 at 5,500-yard Twin Falls Municipal Golf Course, giving him a two-round total of 4-under 132. First-round leader Hunter Ostrom of Bishop Kelly eagled the last hole to shot a 68 and finish one shot behind Bayley.
“It feels perfect to finish out my high school career with a win like this,” said the Washington State-bound Bayley, who won in a playoff two years ago.
Bayley eagled the 450-yard par-5 first hole.
“That got me off to a good start,” he said. “Then I made eight straight pars.”
Bayley had an eventful back nine, beginning with a bogey on 10 and a two-putt birdie on 11. He made double bogey on No. 12. Bayley hit a 2-iron over the green on the 280-yard par-4 13th, but got up-and-down for a birdie. He sank a 5-foot birdie putt on the 188-yard par-3 17th.
Twin Falls (556) won the team title by 28 shots. Sandpoint (649) placed seventh, paced by David Currie’s 155.
Haley Nist (139) won the girls title by 16 shots and led Bishop Kelly to the team title. Lakeland (864) placed sixth, led by Haley Rotchford’s 191.
• Vallivue’s Connor Johnstone (144) and Gabby Barker (138) won individual honors at the 5A State tournament at Highland Golf Course in Pocatello.
Lake City’s Kenny Dodge (148) tied for third among boys. Lewiston’s Sammi Jo Spring tied for eighth among girls at 169.
Eagle (595) won the boys team title by 15 shots. Lewiston (626) placed third and Coeur d’Alene (687) ninth. Rocky Mountain (689) won the girls title. CdA (762) was sixth, Lewiston (802) eighth.
• Kellogg’s Jesse Gibbons shot a final-round 83 for a two-day 170 and three-shot victory at the girls State 3A tournament at Clear Lake Country club.
Giggons led the Wildcats (821) to second place, 14 shots behind Marsh Valley.
Kellogg’s Jesse Lambert (163) placed 10th among boys, 19 shots behind champion Kade Crossland of team champion Buhl, who defeated teammate Hayden Eckert in a two-hole playoff.
• Gavin McCarter and Ryan McNulty (165) tied for sixth as St. Maries (709) placed fourth at the boys 2A State tourney at Rupert Country Club.
Champion Jade Barney (147) led Salmon (675) to the team title.
St. Maries’ McKenzie Rose (197) placed eighth among girls, 26 shots behind champ Lacy Avera of New Plymouth. Declo (799) won the team title.
• Freeman’s Ryan Maine (5-over 77) and Bayley Stejer (91) won medalist honors at the District 7 1A tourney at The Fairways.
Freeman’s girls (38 points) won the team title and sent four golfers to bi-district. Lakeside (75 1/2) won the boys title and qualified six to bi-district.
Brandon Boehnke scored at 43 minutes as Kamiakin upset Greater Spokane League champion Mt. Spokane 1-0 in a 3A subregional at Spokane Falls CC.
Braves goalkeeper Conner Durham made 11 saves as the Wildcats (11-3) saw their season end.
In another loser-out match, Kennewick cruised to an 11-0 win over Shadle Park (6-9) at SFCC.
• Micah Weller had two goals and an assist as host Cheney (14-1-1) posted a 4-0 win over East Valley (6-9) in a District 7 2A loser-out match. The Blackhawks will host Pullman at 4 p.m. Thursday in the district championship.
Matt Winchell and Mortiz Lange scored to boost host Pullman (14-3) to a 2-0 win over West Valley (10-8) in a loser-out match.
Dylan Steen pitched a two-hitter, striking out six, as fourth-seeded West Valley (11-9) posted a 3-1 win over visiting Clarkston (11-10) in a District 7 2A loser-out game.
WV’s Johnny Sage doubled twice and scored twice. The Eagles will play top-seeded East Valley (15-5) at 4 p.m. today.
In another loser-out opener, Andrew Graham and Connor Pratt hit solo home runs and Sawyer Sims (6-2) pitched a four-hitter as No. 3 Cheney (12-7) posted a 6-1 win over visiting Pullman (6-14).
Graham went 3 for 4 while hitting the first homer of his career. Cheney will play at No. 2 Colville (11-7) at 4 p.m. today.
• Brewster eliminated Medical Lake 3-0 at the 1A bi-district in Moses Lake. Roman Kissack of the Cardinals (12-9) pitched a six-hitter and struck out seven. Brewster will play Northeast A No. 1 Freeman (18-1) at 12:30 p.m. Saturday at Moses Lake.
• Garrett Weller went 3 for 3 with two doubles and three RBIs, and Aaron Fritts struck out eight as Republic (16-2) defeated Liberty Christian 7-5 in a 1B subregional at Davenport.
Republic will play for seeding to state at 1:30 p.m. Saturday at University High. Liberty Christian, which opened the day at Davenport by eliminating Curlew (10-9), will play a loser-out game at 11 a.m. Saturday at U-Hi.
Jordyn Soliday pitched a two-hitter and struck out eight as third-seeded Medical Lake (15-6) posted a 10-0, five-inning win over Newport (3-17) in a District 7 1A loser-out game.
Rachael Stanfill had four RBIs for the Cardinals, who will meet second-seeded Riverside (15-5) at 11 a.m. Saturday at Lakeside (Nine Mile Falls).
In another loser-out opener, Karlee Eslick went 3 for 4 with two RBIs to lead No. 4 Kettle Falls (11-9) to a 9-4 home win over No. 5 Freeman (7-13). KF will meet No. 1 Lakeside (18-1) at 11 a.m. Saturday at Nine Mile Falls.
• Hannah Husted tossed her first career no-hitter, striking out 13, and hit a two-run homer as No. 1 Northwest Christian (18-3) defeated visiting Springdale 8-0 in District 7 2B play.
Mackenzie Gray added three hits for NWC, and Sara Miller and Chloe Baughn had two apiece.
NWC will meet second-seeded Colfax (13-4) at 2 p.m. Tuesday at Merkel Field for the title and top two seeds to bi-district. Colfax reached the title game with a 13-3, five-inning win over visiting Davenport as Sarah Appel had three sacrifice flies.
Davenport (14-8) opened the day at Colfax with a 15-3, five-inning win over Liberty (5-15) as Grace Lilje pitched a four-hitter, striking out six, and went 2 for 4 with four RBIs.
Springdale (12-10) opened at NWC with a 13-3, five-inning win over Lind-Ritzville/Sprague as Falisha Hegel pitched a four-hitter and doubled twice, and Eilish Smith homered.
Springdale and Davenport will play for the third seed to bi-district at noon Tuesday at Merkel. LRS (7-10) and Liberty (5-15) will also meet at noon, in a loser-out game.
• Alexa Lindgren had two hits and one RBI as Garfield-Palouse/Tekoa-Oakesdale defeated host Dayton 8-5 in a District 9 2B loser-out game.
G-P/T-O will play DeSales at 3 p.m. Friday at Walla Walla.